• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Needle localization included in excision??

Linda Charlwood

PASSED CCS/Got the job!/wrk frm hme/PUP all day!
Blitzer
Hello,

Yup....me again, I have been studying ALLLL day long.....

More clarification needed.

The following CPT codes appear:

19120 - Excision of cyst, fibroadenoma, or other benign or malignant tumor, aberrant breast tissue, duct lesion, nipple, or areolar lesion(except 19140), male or female, one or more lesions.

19125 - Excision of breast lesion identified by preoperative placement of radiological marker; single lesion.

19290- Preoperative placement of needle localization wire, breast.

The patient underwent a needle localization with excision of a right breast lesion. Pathology revealed diffuse fibrocystic disease. Which of the following is the appropriate coding for this procedure?
A - 19125 19290
B - 19125
C - 19120 19125
D - 19120 19290

I said B
The ans they give is A but why would that be???? When in the guidelines it says - The open excision of breast lesions (eg,lesions of the breast ducts, cysts benign or malignant tumors), without specific attention to adequate surgical margins, WITH OR WITHOUT THE PREOPERATIVE PLACEMENT OF RADIOLOGICAL MARKERS, is reported using codes 19110 - 19126.

Actualy I think while writing this I figured it out :rolleyes: - tell me if this is correct - because 19125 "placement of radiological MARKER" not "placement of needle localization"???

OK - what exaxctly is "radiological marker" I will look that up. But is that why?
The